When you're avoiding checking a bag, as I usually do, every square centimeter of space in your luggage counts. I'm not someone who's willing to go au natural, so a compact makeup bag is an absolute essential. Here's all I need:
- A simple makeup bag. I'm pretty obsessed with this Phillip Lim one; it's a great size and an unexpected mix of goofy and sleek. Bonus: it can double as a clutch for a low-key dinner or night out.
- A set of small brushes. These are all technically "face" brushes, but I only use blush and contour brushes on my face; the smaller concealer ones are perfect for eyeshadow application.
- Sample size mascara. They're Real! by Benefit is my favorite in this size.
- A dark gray eyeliner. Better to bring than a black one because you can wear it both day and night.
- A neutral eyeshadow palette. This pared down version of NAKED is super versatile and can deliver a nice flush of color for day or a sexier smokey eye for evening.
- A two-in-one blush and bronzer palette. Two colors wear more naturally when blended than just one cheek color, making for a quick, one swirl application.
- BB Cream. For some coverage and moisture.
- Eye makeup remover pads. These are individually wrapped so you only need to pack as many as needed.
- Caudalie Lip Conditioner. My lips get chapped easily, especially during travel. This has become an absolute essential to combat dryness.