I have a soft spot for The Slope. It was the first neighborhood I lived in when I made the move from Manhattan to Brooklyn, and it is just so hard to get past its striking beauty. The 'hood is home to some of the most gorgeous brownstones and tree-lined streets in the city, as well as a slew of recognizable celebs (Maggie Gyllenhaal, I see you moseying down Fifth Ave in those leopard harem pants).
There is a superior food scene in Park Slope, one I would say is worth traveling for. And I truly can't think of a better neighborhood to spend a leisurely afternoon wandering around.
- al di la: A casual, divine Italian restaurant.
- Miriam: Check out this Israeli spot for happy hour for half-off mezes and select beers/wines (4-8pm weeknights, 10-11pm weekend nights)
- franny's: Fancy-ish pizza, pizza, pizza.
- Rose Water: A Union Avenue staple for seasonal American fare.
- Mission Dolores: A laid-back, dog-friendly beer bar with an outdoor space and pinball machines.
- Union Hall: Bar-restaurant-event space on Union Avenue with a library, indoor bocce, and separate concert venue.
- Pork Slope: A roadhouse-style casual bar owned by Dale Talde, former Top Chef competitor and Owner of neighboring TALDE Restaurant.
- Prospect Park: Keep an eye on the Bandshell concert lineup over the summer; it brings a nice mix of artists and free/paid shows. You can walk around the park in the wintertime, but if heading over when it's a bit warmer out, stop by BKLYN Larder for provisions and Sip Fine Wine for libations beforehand, then go enjoy in the park.
- Brooklyn Yoga School: A cute by-donation yoga studio in a North Park Slope brownstone.
- Coffee: There are many noteworthy coffee joints, but I really enjoy Blue Sky Bakery for their coffee and muffins, Gorilla for a coffee to-stay or freshly ground bag of beans to-go, and the Café Regular outposts.
- Shopping: Pony Shop & Beacon's Closet for affordable vintage finds, Fifth Avenue Records & Tapes for some new vinyl to add to the collection, and Babeland for some feel-good solo shopping.
Have a reliable recommendation or sweet spot to share? Go crazy in the comments section.